You should learn camera basics and start using it.
What is a camera?
A camera is a light sensitive device which is used to capture images. It also records moving images. Camera uses lens to auto focus image and capture it. It is light sensitive device which captures images in light.
It works like a human eye. As humans we see any object with our eyes and store it’s duplicate in our mind for later use. A camera also does this. Images taken by a camera are used in later process. It can be used in photographic printing, digital imaging.
Before starting photography learn camera basics
Many new photographers are intimidated by their camera. But don’t be. Learn your camera by following these rules:
- Learn how to hold your camera correctly.
- Wide aperture is best for portrait photography.
- Learn to use a tripod in certain situations.
- Learn exposure triangles for best photograph.
- Narrow aperture is best for landscape photography.
- Learn to use aperture and shutter speed. In which situations to increase or decrease.
- Careful when increasing ISO.
- Take multiple raw photographs so you can choose the best.
- Check ISO before capturing image.
- Be careful with the flash adjusting techniques
- Learn to use white balance
- After capturing raw images, you should have an adjusting software for post production.
Basic knowledge of camera
Before starting photography you must have the basic knowledge of a camera. It consists of aperture, shutter speed, ISO speed and exposure. You must have control of the shutter speed and aperture. If light is too little, the photo captured will be dark. If light is too much, photo will be too bright. So you must have the basic knowledge of camera.
To be a good photographer
Before capturing the photo you must learn the camera and camera settings. Without basic knowledge of camera you cannot be a good photographer.
Before moving in the field of digital photography you must acknowledge these terms of your camera:
- Aperture: There is an important term in learning camera. What’s aperture? The aperture is the size of opening of the lens. Light depends on this term. When you don’t understand aperture of camera, your photo will be darker or too brighter. This can create a problem in adjusting the image perfectly in post production.
- Aspect Ratio: Aspect ratio is the ratio between width and height. If you are creating an image for printing. You must take care of aspect ratio. For example you are creating an image with 20×10 dimensions. 10×5 is also an equal ratio to previous dimension. So if you increase or decrease the width or height both should be increase and decrease with equal ratio.
- Burst Mode: You can capture one image at one time. If you enable burst mode, you can capture continuous shots. This process will continue until your camera’s buffer is full. This will help you in selecting best images for you.
- Exposure: It is term which teaches us how much light is provided to your image. When oour camera lens is exposed to more light, our image will be bright. If lens is exposed too little light, image will be too dark.
- File Format: File format is most important for later editing image. RAW files can be edited easier than JPGs.
6. Set your camera for basic photography:
- Camera mode should be on manual setting. So you have more control of the situation.
- Shutter speed: It may be 1/250 or faster.
- White balance: You can keep it as high as possible. Maximum range is 3200.
- Autofocus: Auto focus can be enabled so camera search the object own.
- Drive mode: It may be continuous so you capture many images and choose best.
7. Camera settings for concert photography
- ISO: How much your camera can provide light?
- Shutter speed: How much your shutter can be __opened?
- Aperture: The full size opening lens enable.
Learning camera Modes
If you want mastery in photography you must learn camera and camera modes. Because in different situations you must have the knowledge of camera settings. There are different modes which have more important roles for the best photography:
- Action mode: This type of mode is used to capture faster actions. So high shutter speed is used for this purpose. Because slow shutter speed will not capture motion images perfectly.
- Text mode: If you want to capture text so you have to enhance camera sharpening. In this way you can enable text capturing.
- Landscape mode: In landscape mode small aperture is used. Small aperture creates depth of field. If aperture is larger it don’t’ create depth of field.
- Portrait mode: It large aperture is used. If aperture is large it captures the face not background. If small aperture is used it will not focus on face but background.
- Firework mode: If you want to capture fireworks, you must use a stand for camera. So all the paths of fireworks be captured. Fireworks is night activity. If camera is not stand able it will not capture paths of fireworks.
- Night mode: It uses long exposure. In this way detailed background is captured. If small exposure is used it will not capture detailed background.
- Water mode: It depends on the photographer what he wants to do. If he wants to capture motion of water he increases the shutter speed. If he wants to capture slow motion he decreases the shutter speed.
- Natural light: In advanced cameras two pictures are taken in this mode automatically. One with flash and one without it.
- Higher sensitivity mode:
Even though there are hundreds of modes which are used in different situations. So a good photographer can learn camera settings to enhance his work.
Learn from your mistakes
None of us are perfect. So if you have noticed mistakes in your photography. You have to learn from your mistakes. This is very necessary beautify your work. Camera settings are based on learning techniques.
You learn more. You expertise more. It all depends on your hard work. It depends on your passion. So learn your camera settings. Learn camera.